Monday, January 23, 2012

Assessments were on Sunday. . .

. . . and man did I suck!

But that's okay.  Honestly, I did not go into Day One Assessments thinking that I would pass.  I never even entertained the notion once.  I know I can't do plow stops to save my life.  I know that when I start getting unsteady or freak out about something, I stand up out of good derby position and end up smeared on the track (I saw the phrase "flails like crazy" scrawled on my results sheet and had to laugh).  Believe me, I know I've got a long way to go.  But no one ever said that becoming a roller girl was going to be easy.  It's a sport, after all.  These girls are athletes.  You can't just show up and be like, "WHAT.  I'M HERE NOW.  PASS ME SOME SKATES."

Amy Fister broke the news to me at the end of the grueling two hour test and I was touched by her kindness and tact, though I hope I made it clear to her that I hadn't expected anything else (and she did tell me that she liked my attitude).  Her advice and feedback was worth it all on its own.  When else can you get that much personal attention and solid, useful critique about your skating?  I'll be the first to admit that I am not a natural at sports of any kind.  Those kids who used to call me slow and clumsy during middle school gym were jerks, but it's not like they were wrong.  I never expected to just magically shed my childhood awkwardness the first time I got involved in a team sport.  And, hey, I'm a lot better than I was when I started in October.  So I'm not discouraged.

In fact, not only am I not discouraged, I'm inspired.  I went through assessments with five other girls, many of whom had assessed before and failed.  Tasty Murder even told me that she fractured her elbow the first time she assessed.  Think about how much dedication it takes to freakin' break a bone and still get back out there.  The first time I ever held onto Tasty's hips so she could pull me around the track (a strength drill we call "the chariot"), I was amazed by her strength.  When I told her so afterwards, she sighed in self-deprication and said, "I'm still not strong enough."  WHOA.  This girl means it!  SHE'S BROKEN BONES LEARNING THIS SPORT.  And you know what's even more amazing?  That's not unusual for derby girls.

So I'm not going to let myself be discouraged just because I didn't pass assessments at the first crack.  That wouldn't make any sense.  It might take me all year.  Maybe longer.  But I'm improving.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, we all started somewhere. You should ask someone about my first few times stickyskating. Or when Cherry threatened to make me write, "I will not donkey kick in packs" 200 times. And flailing, who hasn't flailed. I think I still flail sometime.

    Congrats on having the confidence to assess and the poise to accept failure!

    ReplyDelete