Wednesday, January 11, 2012

First Scrimmage

Woo!  Check it out! I finally got to go to my very first scrimmage, and it was awesome.  Scrimmage alternates with granny practice every other Monday, and I've never been able to go because of evening classes.  But a brand new semester means a brand new schedule, and I made sure my Mondays are free.

The league holds scrimmages to prepare skaters to bout, to train up the new grannies, and to make sure that everyone on the league is totally seeped in the rules of derby.  Everyone is expected to attend when they can, and if you're not there to play then you will most surely find yourself relegated one of many jobs to help the scrimmage run smoothly for everyone involved, from referee (this involves its own sort of special training) to scorekeeping to managing the penalty box.  Me?  I got a miniature dry-erase board and a crash course in derby referee hand signals.

Since this was my first scrimmage and, frankly, I'm a derby newbie in every sense of the term, I didn't know the rules well enough for most of the jobs available.  I was able to help move the team benches into place, and then I was given the task of standing near the far corner of the track and writing penalties on a white board and communicating them (with lots of arm-waving) to the folks in the center of the track keeping tabs on skater penalties.  Refs would fly by and shout things like, "WHITE 8008 ELBOW" and I would scrawl it on my board and start waving.  Sometimes, I'd just get a color (black or white, to designate the team being penalized), a skater number, and a hand signal.  And each hand signal has a letter code that I had to use on the board (which were all, thankfully, inscribed on a piece of paper taped to the back for quick reference).  The refs were all nice enough to tell me what the hand signals meant when I didn't know them, and I tried to make up for it by being quick.

The hardest part was to remember that my job was to watch the refs, not the game itself.  But I couldn't not watch!  Oh man, I can hardly believe how amazing these girls are.  I mean, I've been to bouts put on by other leagues, but I've never seen derby up close and certainly not played by girls that I skate with twice a week.  Leah and Sibel, two of our newest grannies, were particularly amazing, especially when they would play jammer.  We were in the same pack of newbies and it's amazing to see how much they've progressed in such a short period of time.  I know they're both really hard workers, but still.  That is impressive!  And let me tell you, this sport is intense.  I saw plenty of girls go flying and just hop back up and speed off like it was nothing.  There were a few plays that looked super tense, and I wondered if there would be bad feelings between skaters afterwards, but it was great to see everyone hugging and high-fiving at the end.  Nonetheless, these ladies are serious on the track, even between friends.

It left me wondering, "Jeez, am I ever going to be that fast?"  I can hardly even imagine getting out there and being as awesome as any one of them.  I've got so much to work on.  Day one assessments are coming up in just a couple of weeks and there's plenty on that check list that I'm not so great at.  We had an open skate before scrimmage and I spent the time working on my plow and just trying to control my speed on the track.  I do this thing where I start going faster than I'm comfortable with and then I stand up (and end up in a heap on my butt).  It's not good!  But I just try to remind myself that I've still come a long way.  I mean, I could barely skate at all when I started.  I didn't roller skate when I was little the way a lot of the other girls did.  So I'm just trying to stay positive, which thankfully is pretty easy with this league.

Next practice for me is on Thursday, and in the meantime I've got plenty of work to do for my committee.

4 comments:

  1. If you ever need help with an NSO job at a scrimmage or bout, come find me. I did nearly all of them, and can help you out if needed!

    Also, it's wise to review the WFTDA Referee Hand Signals PDF just as you review the rules. The Hand Signals is much shorter and is mostly pictures, so it's fun to look at. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Newbie,
    I'm upset that you didn't even say hi to your first follower at the coffee shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! You know, I thought that was you but then I was afraid I'd get over there and see that it wasn't and just stand there being awkward. So my apologies! Hi!

      Delete
  3. Hey,
    I'm certain I would not bite you had you said hello, but no apology necessary. I will say hi next time though. You seem to have this blogging thing under your thumb, so keep it up. See you in the mug. :)
    Rapadoo,

    ReplyDelete